Saturday, January 3, 2015

Skiddaw Loop

across the frozen top of Skiddaw

I got off to a pretty late start today so just headed to Keswick and up Spooneygreen Lane towards Skiddaw.  I took one of my favourite routes, heading off from the main track up Skiddaw towards Lonscale Fell and down over Burnt Horse.  I then headed to Skiddaw House and climbed up Sale How to Skiddaw.  I came back via Carlside and through Dodd Woods across the fields back to Keswick.  A good 14 miles, timed just right with the daylight fading as I was near the end of the run.

Skiddaw fell group from the climb up to Latrigg

on the main track up SKiddaw looking back over Derwent Water

turned off now towards Lonscale Fell

from the very edge of Lonscale Pike looking over with Burnt Horse on the left and the Cumbria Way track visible below

running along Burnt Horse.  One of my favourite ridge runs

from the climb up Sale How.  Lonscale Pike is visible centre right with the little fluffy cloud above it.  Blencathra to the left.

the top of Skiddaw was frozen.  Here looking back down to Little Man.  The fence over Little Man carries on pretty much to the summit of Lonscale Fell.  A much easier way than the way I had just come but not as much fun.

very lucky with the cloud today, just experiencing a bit of whiteout on top of Skiddaw

even that soon cleared.

at the summit.  Turn around point.

the steep track down to Carlside.  Carlside Tarn is just visible with only a small climb back up to the top of Carlside

steep run down from Carlside to Long Doors.  I did plan to go up and down Dodd (the little fell below left) but time was a bit tight in terms of daylight.

heading across the fields, looking back towards the Skiddaw group.


route and elevation

No comments:

Post a Comment