Saturday, December 6, 2014

Lonscale Fell

me running down the back of Lonscale Fell towards Burnt Horse
  
Skiddaw path looking back over Derwent Water
Another weekend early start as my wife was playing hockey and I needed to be home for about 11am.

It was still dark when I first set off and most of the Skiddaw group was in cloud so the extent of the overnight snowfall could not be fully ascertained.

I parked up at Spooney Green Lane and set off up the Latrigg Path.  I thought I had no chance of running to the car park and almost stopped to walk before the bridge but I slowed my pace and took it easy, gradually getting into a groove and finishing off finding it quite easy to get up.

From here I carried on over towards that path up Jenkin Hill.  About a mile from the car park, where the path almost meets with the wall before sweeping off sharply to the left, take the path straight ahead following the wall and this comes out at the col between Jenkin Hill and Lonscale Fell.  It's a short climb to the right along the fence line and then another short run up to the summit cairn.

having left the main path and now into the snow on the path along the fence line towards Lonscale Fell
summit of Lonscale Fell - not much to see
Back to the fence junction and the fence (and an old wall) lead you down, then steeply down.

The path crosses the fence and takes a ridge route along the wonderfully named promontory of Burnt Horse.

As you leave the ridge, the path continues through fields through a gate and heads on an easier gradient down towards the Cumbria Way track, just a bit before Skiddaw House.  From here it would have been an easy run around Lonscale Fell on the same track but I decided to try to pick up another path along the Glenderaterra Beck.  Checking afterwards reveals that I set off for the path a bit too early and ran over rougher ground than necessary but that I did pick up the track.  This eventually turned into a really nice track that took me down to Derwentfolds.  I followed the path and crossed the beck then ran up the road to the bottom of the Latrigg Path where I followed the old road through Brundholme Wood back into Keswick.

Lonscale Pike

Burnt Horse ahead after the steep descent

"Wheeeeee"

heading along the Burnt Horse path

back onto the Cumbria Way and looking along to Lonscale Pike


No comments:

Post a Comment