Thursday, July 17, 2014

Skiddaw via Sale How

looking back from the flat(ish) top of Skiddaw.  There's a little trail to the left of the last shelter that cuts off the corner.

10 miles was on my planner today.  I'm continuing to gradually up my weekly mileage.  I had heavy legs yesterday on the group run around Binsey and was thinking I would still be feeling it a bit this morning.  I've been wanting to test out my Hokas too.  I got them a while ago and never really felt good about them.  I'm not sure why.  A descent down the brutal Skiddaw main path should sort out both issues I thought.

The legs felt a bit better today.  I managed to run up to the car park at Latrigg which I would say is the equivalent of the Binsey climb.  I then carried on around the Cumbria Way track to Skiddaw House.  I was pleased to be able to run all the way around, even if it was at a slow pace.

The climb up Sale How is a slog (although it's very nice in the opposite direction).  It brings you out near the top of Skiddaw though and is a nice alternative to the main path.  There were plenty of people on top.  I circled the summit trig point and then started the run down.  I think the Hokas do make this descent easier, my feet were fine on this descent but my legs were aching.  I managed the descent at a moderately fast pace, slowing down at Latrigg due to dead legs.  Rest day tomorrow.  Three Peaks on Saturday!

Skiddaw from Latrigg car park.  There was an ice cream cart there today (the car park)

from the gate on the Cumbria Way looking back over Derwent Water

nice trail around the back of Skiddaw

looking back from the Sale How Climb (I think) Lonscale Pike centre left

This is the point where the Sale How track joins the main path, looking back to Skiddaw Little Man (that's the name of the fell, not the little man in the picture)

along the top of Skiddaw looking over Longside Edge and Bassenthwaite

busy on the top

12.4 miles, 3000ft of climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment